Saturday, January 17, 2015

So, our car has no heater unless we drive faster than 60 MPH.

3rd week in the field! (or my month mark! Not that I'm counting down, but hey! it's a milestone!)

So, funny thing about staying warm (that's what everyone tells me in their letters), is it's been light jacket weather the last few days!!! I walked around with just my suit, not even a sweater, for the last few days!! I thought it was in the 50's or something! But, low and behold... It was 34. We had a sister in our ward just get back from her mission in Brazil, right on the Amazon, and she kept getting mad at all of us ("us" being the ward) because we were all talking about how warm it was, and she would say "THIS IS NOT WARM!!!!! I'M FREEZING OVER HERE! You people need to learn what warm really is, cause this is not it!" Most of the snow has melted, and it's been really foggy the last few days. I love the fog. i think it's cool.
This week was... interesting. My first week we had a ton of people to teach, my second week was a little less, and this week we hardly taught any lessons. J got a new job, and our other investigators had plans or got sick XD 
So, our car has no heater unless we drive faster than 60 MPH, so we tried to find someone to help us out (with the missions approval, of course). No one in Valley City could help, so we called a dealership in Jamestown, who said we could bring it in on Saturday. So we left early in the morning, dropped it off at the dealership, and a member picked us up and took us to the Christmas breakfast. Afterwards, we helped the sisters in our ward move from Oakes (it's about 2 hours south of us) to Jamestown, and that took almost all day. Once we were done, we went to get our car, and there was a manufacturers error, so they fixed it for free!! Yay!
So, for all you Mistborn nerds out there, there is a place here called "Ellendelle" (it might be Ellendale... I don't quite know). Just a fun little tidbit.
We went tracting yesterday and I had my first door closed in my face!!! It was great! The lady opened the door, I asked how she was doing, and before she had finished saying "good" she closed the door. Not 10 minutes later we walked to another apartment right when another lady was getting out of her car. She saw us, and started speed walking to her door, extending her hand backwards, waving at us and said "don't come to my door! Do not come to my door!" and she closed it really fast. I never thought that 2 teenagers in suits were so scary. Maybe I had something on my face. Maybe it WAS my face! I'm a pretty intimidating guy, what with my huge biceps and shoulders that take up where my neck is supposed to be. Riiiiiigggghhhhttttt (in a very "Kronk"-ish voice).
Sooooo..... I think I'm gonna start sharing quotes, because I love quotes, and there is no one to share them with ( my companion hears them during comp study, but that doesn't count)! This weeks quotes:
"Mistakes of the past don't define you, they refine you." - some EFY song... no idea what year or what it's called.
"What is prayer if not creation? Making something where nothing existed. Creating a wish out of despair, a plea out of anguish. Bowing one's back before the Almighty, and forming humility from the empty pride of a human life.
Something from nothing. True creation." - Navani Kholin, "The Way of Kings", by Brandon Sanderson. 
"I do not wish any Latter Day Saint in this world, nor in heaven, to be satisfied with anything I do, unless the Spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ, - the spirit of revelation, makes them satisfied. I wish them to know for themselves and understand for themselves." - Quoted by Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles. Original quote by Brigham Young, "Sermon," Deseret News, Oct. 31, 1855.
"God will not act to make us something we do not choose by our actions to become." - Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles.
"The good spoken of the Joseph Smith cam slowly; the evil speaking began immediately.  Joseph wrote, 'How very strange it was that an obscure boy ... should be thought ... of sufficient importance to attract ... the most bitter persecution'." - Elder Neil L. Andersen of the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles.
"I know that it is not a popular thing to teach, that a backwoods boy from Vermont, reared in New England, and trained on the frontier is a prophet. But, popular or not, it is a fact." - Found on mormonchannel.org under "Stories from General Conference"
"Choosing something bad over something worse is still choosing wrong." - Elder Jorg klebingat of the Quorom of the Seventy.
"Often trials and tribulations are allowed to come into [your life] because of what [you] are doing right." - Glenn L. Pace, "Crying with the Saints".
"I also know that although I may not be my brother's keeper, I am my brother's brother, and 'because I have been given much, I too must give'." - Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorom of the Twelve Apostles.
Most of these exerpts are taken from the November, 2014, General Conference issue of the Ensign. Read it! It is so good!!! Next week I won't have as many quotes, cause this is all the quotes for the last month..... Thanks for letting me share them haha!
Well, that's about the extent of my week... Not a lot happened... sorry guys! Love and miss you all!
Elder Carter V

Preview
He wanted a Red Rider BB Gun. You'll shoot your eye out, Kid.


No comments:

Post a Comment