Sunday, April 3, 2016

January 25, 2015 The Promised Land indeed!

Howdy all!

Man!  Transfers were crazy! Well, I said my goodbyes, got pictures, then I drove the truck from Wolf Point to Dickinson. It's weird driving a truck instead of a low riding boat of a car that has no guts.  I kind of enjoyed it, actually.  Once we got to Bismarck, I got to see Elder Warren!  That was so much fun!  It's hard to call him "Elder" though.  I had to catch myself before I called him "James".  Every.  Dang.  Time.  He is being trained in Glasgow, MT, which was part of my old District, so we practically switched places!  I love it there!  I got to go to Glasgow 5, maybe 6 times while I was there.  He's gonna love it.  His trainer is Elder Cope.  He's pretty awesome, although I didn't get to talk with him a whole lot.  Only knew him for 6 weeks, and didn't see him much.

In Bismarck, I am one of about..... 4 sets of missionaries?  That's only the young missionaries too.  We have way more senior couples than that though.  I don't even know most of them.  My new address is 1658 Capital Way #102 Bismarck, ND 58503.  Bismarck is culture shock for sure.  First off, there are 4 lane roads here.  There are also White people here.  That is so foreign to me!  I haven't been part of the majority for 7 1/2 months!  Second, I'm in the middle of a city, filled with more places to go than I could ever go to in a month!  It's a big place compared to what I'm used to... you know... less than 2,000 people in a city, and that's a big one.  There are 2 wards here in Bismarck, and right across the street from the church is the Temple!  My first night here my companion and I were asked to help with Baptisms at the temple.  I didn't expect to go till the beginning of next month!  What a blessing.  It's a beautiful, wonderful place.  The ward actually functions like a ward!  I've never had so many members to work with, never had so many to feed us, and never had ward member missionaries.  So, all in all, my mind is just blown.  

My new companion is a boss.  His name is Elder Riding from St. George, Utah.  He's been out a month and a half longer than me, and has been in Bismarck for 6 months already.  He's a hard worker and knows a lot.  I'm going to be learning so much from him, it's not even funny.  There is a reservation in our District, and I will be going down this Sunday to speak in Sacrament Meeting!  Yay for being back on the Rez!  But aside from that, I doubt I'll get to see it much.  

Church on Sunday was sweet!  Half way through the passing of the Sacrament, the power went out and the back-up lights came on.  They finished passing the Sacrament, then the conductor gets up and says that we will just go on with the meeting and hope the power comes back on.  So, we had a traditional, old fashioned church meeting!  The speakers got up and had to project their message all the way to the back.  

I've met so many people this week, I can't even remember most of their names.  But, I've only had to cook myself dinner once!  The members here treat us so good, and they are so  missionary minded.  This is going to be a huge change from the missionary work I have done in the past because I will have so much help from the members.  I'm loving it!!

And that's about all the time I've got today.  Love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!

Elder Carter V

1)Sister Logan.  She's the best!



2)The Shanks.  they are the  best too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment